Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sweet Potato Rosti and Butternut Squash Pear Soup

Autumn is definitely in full swing. Leather jackets, boots, and plaid flannels are finally back! For no explained reason,other than the general magical transformations that come with the changing of the seasons, Saturday football and Thursday night television are all of the sudden important parts in my weekly routine. To fully immerse myself in the wonders of the season, I have been cooking hearty meals with ingredients from someones farm or patch or something. YUMZ.

Sweet Potato Rosti
750g Sweet potatoes, peeled and grated Olive oil, for frying 1 Small onion, finely chopped 1 Clove of garlic, finely chopped 200g Goats cheese (or any other รข€“ stilton also works well 2 Small eggs, beaten Salt and ground black pepper
  1. Squeeze the liquid out of the grated potato and place into a bowl.
  2. Lightly fry the onion and garlic in the oil, until they have softened and turned a golden colour. Add to the potato.
  3. Add the eggs and half the cheese to the potato mix and season as required.
  4. Divide the mixture into six, and mould into cakes with your hands.
  5. Place the cakes onto a greased baking tray, and drizzle each with a little olive oil.
  6. Bake in the oven at 210 degrees C for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
  7. Remove from the oven and scatter the remaining cheese on top. Brown for 5 minutes under the grill, and serve immediately

While cooking tonight, I had this song stuck in my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA

I know. Embarrassing.
Peel and chop pears.


"My tummy's turnin' and I'm feelin' kinda homesick. Too much pressure and I'm nervous, and the taxi man turned on the radio and a Jay-Z song was on, and a Jay-Z song was on, and a Jay-Z song was on..."

Incredible lyrics, I know.


In a 4-quart saucepan melt the

butter over medium-high heat, and add and sweat the onions. Add squash and pears and sweat those too a bit.

"So I put my hands up, they're playin' my song, and the butterflies fly away, noddin' my head like yeah, movin' my hips like yeah, and I know I'm gonna be okay..."






Pour in the stock, enough to submerge solids. Add sprig of rosemary and bring to a simmer and cook until squash is fork tender about 15 to 18 minutes.

"Yeah, it's a party in the USA, it's a party in the USA..."

Remove rosemary. Puree with immersion blender. Add a touch of cream and season, to taste.

"It's when the DJ played my favorite jam and a Britney song was on... So I put my hands up, they're playin' my song..."


Enjoy.


"It's a party in the USA..."


No matter how much you hate to admit it, the girl's got pipes. Plus, I'm glad somebody's partying, I've about had it with all of this economic talk. Lets just party in the USA...

No comments:

Post a Comment