Monday, October 19, 2009

Crepes

Yesterday, when I got back from class, I had a strong craving for crepes. I also had quite a few potatoes lying around that I wanted to use up. So, naturally, I googled the two items, hoping to find a recipe for savory crepes with a potato filling. I have had great experiences with this technique in the past, and my heart swelled with excitement as I waited to see what google would produce for me. Milliseconds later, however, I had recipe after recipe for "Potato Crepes," but no potato filling in sight. As I read on, I began to come around to the idea of a crepe made entirely out of potato, egg, salt and pepper. I began to think I might give this a whirl. What's wrong with an Idahoian spin on an old French classic?

With the naivete of Little Red Riding Hood, I went ahead and began the dish, blissfully ignorant of the Big Bad Fried Potato Mess of a Wolf that was hiding in my ingredients.

So I washed, peeled, and sliced four whole potatoes, added an egg, some salt and pepper and through it on the skillet.

First of all, whoever thought that little pieces of potato could actually stick together and form a cohesive whole, was an idiot. This, literal "hott mess," looked nothing like a crepe, resembling instead some fake brain mass I would have stuck my hand into at a fourth grade Halloween party. This should have been my first clue that something was off.

After six very long minutes, I began to "flip," the "crepe." Hah. By that, I mean that I began to fling little burned, yet somehow still undercooked sections of shredded potato out of the skillet and all over the kitchen. AWESOME. That was the end of that.

Needless to say, the "Potato Crepe" is a total hoax, completely on par with that Bubble Boy crap, and a lawsuit against the chef, (who I am now calling The Potato Creep),would not be out of the question.

Damn Internet.

One massive burned potato mash later, I collected myself, regained my composure, and began to make the classic savory crepe that I had wanted all along. Realizing that the ingredients to a regular crepe are quite simple and more importantly, normal, I took another stab at it and was quite satisfied with the end results.

Smoked Salmon with Creme Fraiche and Capers Crepe

No comments:

Post a Comment