Monday, October 19, 2009

Gyros with Tzatziki



This meal was, as Sandra Lee would say, "Semi-Homemade." Not all that appetizing, but I like this gal's pluck and shiny outlook on things, despite the fact that she has come to grips with the notion that she really won't ever have the time or energy to make something from scratch. As a college student, I have the luxury of being able to say that "Time is on my side," like some crooner on a soft-rock radio station, and I don't always have time. So I'ma throw that lady a bone, and say, "I hear ya, Blondie, and I appreciate your sense of reality."

Okay, so by "semi," I meant just one ingredient was home-made. And get this Martha, it was only a sauce, a sauce that merely required some folding in of ingredients. What it lacks in complexity, though, it makes up for in taste. I give you Tzatziki:

(This recipe comes from the Greek cooking class I took when I studied in Athens. Stavros, my Athenian teacher, gave it to me. If you knew Stavros, you would know that he would want this recipe barked aloud, in a heavy Greek accent with a heaping dose of agitation.)

TZATZIKI DIP

INGREDIENTS FOR 1 ½ KILO

STRAINED YOGHURT 750gr

CUCUMBERS 800gr

GARLIC 5 cloves

FRESH MINT 1 bunch

FRESH DILL 1 bunch

OLIVE OIL ½ tea cup

WINE VINEGAR 2 table spoons

SALT ¾ of a tea spoon

PEPPER ¼ of a tea spoon

OUZO 2 table spoons

METHOD

First we pass the cucumbers from the grater and leave them for an hour in the strainer.

We make sure that all the juices have gone.

Then we chop the mint the dill and the garlic very fine and we mix them together with the yogurt and the cucumber. Now we add the salt-pepper-oil-vinegar and ouzo and mix again until make sure that is ready. We cover the bowl and keep it in the refrigerator. We can serve it with vegetable sticks and pitta bread.



I put mine on warmed pita with falafel from a box--surprisingly good.

Alright, I know I have put you and all of the rest of the real Foodies through a whirl wind of food related debaucheries today, but I'm about to slam you with the ultimate in Foodie crimes.

The Sultan of Sick.

The College Cliche.

I PUT THIS ON RAMEN NOODLES!!! Bwaahahahahahaaa! I know, I know, I should be balls deep in embarrassment right now, but to Hell with it, I am a college student after all...

2 comments:

  1. My favorite Sandra Lee trait is her inability to realize she is an alcoholic. Every show she makes a drink... every drink has at least 90% alcohol mixed with a splash of something pink. Not bashing, just figured food network would catch on by now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I just saw this! Even more reason to love her!

    ReplyDelete