Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Boeuf Bourguignon

Finals week at KU. Et tu bru-tal. I will keep this one cryptic, to accurately reflect my mood. With three finals down, and two more to go all within the span of 72 hours, it is safe to say that I have not been doing much cooking. I did attempt JC's famed relic, Boeuf Bourguignon, slow cooker style--I know a sin to say the least--and have been eating it for the last four days. I am relying on this dish and advice from Tween Pop Sensation and American Middle-School Icon Taylor Swift to keep me nutritionally sustained and keeping me from fleeing my little college town of Lawrence, Kansas, in search of safer harbors.
You are laughing, I know, but little teeny-bopping TS recognizes the wonders of Lawrence, Kansas, proving that she is just as smart as the rest of us liberal, anti-country college grads.


Slow Cooker Boeuf Bourguignon:


Boeuf Bourguignon

6 Strips bacon -- cut in 1/2" pieces
3 pounds Beef rump or chuck -- cut 1. 5" cubes
1 medium Carrot -- sliced
1 small Onion -- sliced
Salt & pepper to taste
3 tablespoons Flour
1 can Condensed beef broth -- (10oz)
1 tablespoon Tomato paste
2 cloves garlic -- minced
3/4 teaspoon Whole thyme
1 Bay leaf
1/2 pound Tiny white onions
1 pound Fresh mushrooms -- sliced
2 tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup Red or burgundy wine

Thickener:
3 tablespoons Flour
3 tablespoons Melted butter or margarine


Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Remove and drain. Add beef cubes and brown well. Place browned beef in 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Brown carrot and onion. Season with salt and pepper; stir in flour. Add broth, mix well and add to slow cooker. Add cooked bacon, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, bay leaf and onions. Cover and cook on Low 8-10 hours.

One hour before serving: Sauté mushrooms in butter and add, with wine, to slow cooker.

Thicken gravy with flour combined with melted butter or margarine. Stir into stew and cook on High until thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment