Monday, July 5, 2010

Burgers, brats and a hurling match; Celebrating Independence Day Abroad

Saturday, July 3, 2010, I woke to the sounds of blaring rap music and the promise of "American food." My study abroad program had planned a fourth of July party for us on the 3rd of July. Naturally, Jake, my new roommate Jorge and I were the first to arrive and we sat in the courtyard of our apartment complex alone,(aside from the very bored 40something DJ), chilly and eating burgers, hotdogs and microwaved chicken nuggets from the convenient store attached to our apartment. It was hilarious.

Slowly though, people started to come out of their apartments, followed by the sun, and inevitable games of beer pong, soccer and sunning. It turned out to be a great day and we had fun celebrating our nation's holiday in our host country.
Jake and Jorge hit it off famously and we all made plans to watch Spain take on Paraguay in the World Cup later that night. Spain won and the streets of Dublin filled with Spanish tourists and students in one large mob chanting Spanish cheers, songs and the universal "Ole!" As adopted Spaniards, Jake and I followed suit and celebrated with the best of them.

The next day, our program had paid for us all to go to a hurling match between the Irish cities of Galway and Kilkenny. I knew nothing about hurling matches and was very impressed with this Quidditch-like sport. Here is a video I found that will give you a taste of our day's entertainment.

Although I had no apple pie, and watched a sport unlike any American game I'd seen, I felt the spirit of the 4th abroad.
Since I celebrated Independence Day in a whole new way this year, I thought I would share a recipe for a Kansas classic "Nu Way" burger that I made before I left home.
Ingredients
lean ground beef
onion
onion soup mix
green pepper
ketchup
Worcestershire sauce
American cheese

Saute onion green pepper until soft.
Begin to brown the beef and add onion and green pepper. As beef cooks add remaining ingredients. Serve with cheese on a freshly toasted bun and enjoy.
(apologies for the loose recipe. I can't remember all the measurements, and quite frankly even all of the ingredients, but I don't think you can really mess up burgers on a summer day!

No comments:

Post a Comment